Environmental responsibility is an integral part of SfN's business decision-making.
SfN has made an explicit commitment in its Strategic Plan to fulfill its mission in a socially, economically and environmentally responsible fashion, including minimizing SfN's environmental footprint through energy efficiency, recycling, and other initiatives, and being mindful of the broader impact of its day-to-day practices, decisions and actions.
Examples of SfN's environmental commitment include:
- Sustainable architecture and construction in its corporate headquarters
- Environmentally conscious printing practices, such as use of recyclable paper and vegetable-based inks in publications
- Wind power for 100 percent of energy use in the headquarters building, plus filtered taps and automatic faucets and flush devices
- Motion sensors to ensure that lights are off in unoccuped rooms
- Energy Star certified appliances and copiers
- Moving toward digital presentation of information
- Prioritizing the use of mass-transportation at the Society's annual meeting, including buses, trains and subway systems
- Adding more online resources, events and training as the Society expands its programmatic work
- Hosting SfN's annual meeting at convention centers in Chicago, San Diego, and Washington, DC, with a strong commitment to supporting and encouraging sustainable practices
SfN has been recognized with a number of awards for its energy conservation and efforts, including Gold LEED certification for its headquarters building and offices.